There is nothing sweeter and more breathtaking than summer time in Chicago. Not only is the weather somewhat more normalized, but after 9 grueling months of cold, we can finally enjoy some SUN! I love how everyone in the city is naturally in a good mood for those short lived 3 months.
As highly anticipated as this season is in Chicago, I think we can all admit that we’ve been “bored” at one point or another. How many times have you found yourself stuck and indecisive on what to do during the summer? Then as soon as you know it, it’s fall and you realize you barely have anything to show for it on Insta. As promised, I’ve decided to come up with a much needed list of things to do in the city to maximize your fun for an eventful and unforgettable summer! And since some of you have families, I have also come up with some kid-friendly things to do as well (those activities will have an asterisk symbol (*) next to them).
- Festivals and Events- Since there are just way too many to list, here is a simple go-to guide for all of the city’s events: here
- Ball games- Cubs or Sox*
- Shopping and exploring the Magnificent Mile
- Rollerblading at Maggie Daley Park*
- Movies at the Park* (view several showings at all locations here)
- Architecture River Cruise*
- Rent bikes or jog along Lakeshore Drive*
- Picnics at Gilson beach or near Lake Shore*
- Having a drink at Waterfront or Caffe Olivia
- Navy Pier- Firework shows on Wednesday and Saturdays*
- Play pen and boating
- Kayaking/Canoeing along the Chicago River
- Outdoor yoga classes
- Chicago’s Food and Wine Festival of Lincoln Park and Grant Park
- Lincoln Park Zoo*
- Ravinia Music Festivals
- Six Flags Great America*
- Enjoy brunching in the city at NoMi Chicago
Evening activities/ dinner and drinks with a view:
- Art Institute After Dark- Unique event which consists of a lot of sipping, mingling and art observing (loved this event)
- Adler Planetarium After Dark- Romantic stargazing experience. Find tickets here
- Green Street Smoked Meats- My best friend introduced me to this place and I’ve been hooked ever since. This is literally our go-to spot during all seasons but it is especially cutesy in the summer since you get to sit on the cobble-stone paved path with picnic tables that are decorated with string lights. Perfect if you’re craving delicious BBQ food- beware it can get super busy on the weekends!
- London House Chicago- Beautiful rooftop with an amazing view to enjoy some cocktails and appetizers.
- Terrace at Trump- Also a cozy and gorgeous rooftop overlooking the city view. Tip: go on a Saturday night right before the Navy Pier fireworks at 10 pm and you can watch them from your table with the perfect view 🙂
- IO at the Godfrey
- Cindy’s Rooftop
- Zed 41
- Roof on the Wit
- Mahalo- Wicker Park spot perfect for some coconut shrimp and sharing a piña colada from a pineapple.
- Homeslice- Lincoln Park spot if you’re craving Pizza and Drinks! Sit outside on their patio with a big group and enjoy a large selection of yummy pizza.
- RH Champagne in West Loop
- Shanghai Terrace
- Federales- For some tacos and tequila served in shot glasses made of ice!
Take advantage of this gorgeous lively city we have! Not everyone is this fortunate. For those of you who don’t live in Chicago, try and do some research on activities and festivals near you! Look up top rated restaurants, rooftop bars and any adult activities. What’s on your summer to-do list?